Monday 6 October 2014

Wheatears and after dark twitchering - weekly highlights 6/10/2014

That 'work' thing has been getting in the way of things.  Those things are birds in front of my lens.  This is not good.  At the beginning of the week, before the getting in the way of things was in full swing, Wheatears did do what I had been waiting a couple of weeks for them to do.  Come close, sit still and pose.







Then on Saturday, after things that had been getting in receded far enough for there to be a not getting in the way for a bit window, I made a reckless dash into Suffolk to see a bird.  The only reason I went was that I know the area, it had been there for ages, and people kept saying 'confiding' when discussing it on my internet.  The combination of these things adds up to my kind of twitchering - i.e. EASY.  Unfortunately I had, in my haste, omitted to remember that it is now October and thus the sun don't shine until bed time no more.  So there I was, sitting in a dodgy car park, next to a fish finger factory at the most easterly point of mainland UK looking for a small brown bird in a large selection of brown bushes. 

In the dark. 


However, just I had accepted my folly and had decided to leave, guess what happened? A bird appeared at the top of a bush - the little cracker decided that feeding under a streetlight was quite the most apposite thing to do, and I couldn't have agreed more.  It then proceeded to 'show well' and was, as it was hoped, 'confiding'.

And here he/she/it is...


Red-backed Shrike, Ness Point, Lowestoft

For those that like the nerdy settings details stuff - ISO2000 f6.3 1/10s  - yes one tenth of a second (and no tripod)!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...