Tuesday 1 December 2015

Late Sandwich Tern

I was surprised to find a Tern on the patch today.  Here is a photo of that Tern.  It is a Sandwich Tern.



I can, without going through my vast and highly detailed library of bird records, state that I have never seen a Sandwich Tern in December.  Amazingly I had the 2014 Norfolk Bird Report to hand this evening so I checked the latest date for a Sandwich Tern last year which was December 2nd.  So the bird is potentially significant but not massively.  However, I did skim randomly through some of the old reports and although  there was a record for mid-December in 2008 that year and one on the 3rd in 1982, it is nonetheless unusual for a Sandwich Tern to be flying around East Norfolk in December.

However, what I can almost guarantee is that if I have seen a bird that has potential ornithological signficance it will be part of a major influx rather than an isolated bird.

Back to taking photos of the resident Crows tomorrow then.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...