Monday 4 August 2014

A dragon, a gulp and something gnarly - weekly highlights 03/08/2014

It's that time of year when many birders suddenly become interested in moths and dragonflies and things like that.  Things that fly, but only a distraction until the autumn.  The garden birds are hiding, the Swifts are leaving and the breeding colonies dispersed.  All in all a bit of a struggle which is confirmed by my SD card on Sunday which didn't contain a single photo of a bird.  It did, however contain one of these...


... I haven't looked it up in a book yet, but I expect it to have the word 'Common' in its name.  It was in the garden on Sunday.  My undoubted natural history highlight of the week was on Thursday evening when the garden was full of Dragonflies.  About thirty of the critters at all levels chasing about like mad and whizzing past my head. This was enhanced by a good fifty or so Gulls circling about.  I can only assume that this activity was something to do with flying ants.  I'm not sure that the wife was as keen on getting close to this spectacle as I was!

However, not all is birdless.  I did enjoy a close encounter with a gulp of Swallows in the evening sun...



... which contained a cracking little Sand Martin.  This effort is considerably better than my attempt at the beginning of the year.  Although that was published.  Go figure.


Here is a picture of a man doing something undoubtedly 'gnarly'  in the sunset from midweek. 


And here is a picture of what is coming back soon, this photo is from my vast and quality filled archive of course...




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...